Buttermilk Pie, an old-fashioned Southern favorite, is a delightful custard-like dessert that will win over even those who aren’t fond of buttermilk. This easy-to-make pie is perfect for holidays, gatherings, or any time you’re craving a scrumptious treat. Your family and guests will adore this classic, timeless dessert that pairs wonderfully with coffee or milk.
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the sugar, softened butter, and flour, then beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and freshly grated nutmeg. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake the pie until the center is firm, which should take about 40 to 60 minutes.
- Once done, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for 1 hour before serving.
Tips: If the edges of your pie crust are browning too quickly, cover the pie with foil for the remaining baking time. To check if the pie is done, look for a lightly browned top with a slightly jiggly center. The filling will set as it cools. You may also insert a toothpick in the center; if it comes out mostly clean, your pie is ready to be enjoyed.