This recipe for cream puffs has gained fame within my family and among everyone I’ve served them to. Unlike other cream puffs, the secret to my mom’s famous version lies in her incredible filling. While some may use a bland vanilla pudding filling, my mom’s recipe takes it to a whole new level. By adding whipped heavy cream to the pudding base, she creates a rich, decadent, and perfect cream puff filling. The shells are incredibly light, making them the ideal vessel for this delicious cream. Plus, you can prepare the shells in advance and freeze them, as well as make the cream a day ahead. They even hold up well if stuffed the night before, but hold off on the powdered sugar until serving to prevent any odd textures in the refrigerator.
- 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
Mom’s Famous Filling
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) of instant vanilla pudding
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Bring the butter, water, and vanilla to a boil.
- Add the flour and stir constantly until it forms a ball and no longer sticks to the sides of the pot.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is smooth.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Allow the shells to cool.
- Slice them in half and pipe or scoop in Mom’s famous filling.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- In a mixer, beat the heavy cream, instant pudding powder, and milk until the mixture thickens like whipped cream.
Enjoy these cream puffs that are truly special due to the delightful combination of light shells and Mom’s decadent filling. Whether serving them fresh or preparing them in advance, they are sure to be a hit!